Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I know she did something wrong but...

Corazon has had a bad spell over the past week or so. Nothing terribly major but just one thing after another. Today was particularly bad. She was unfocused in everything she did or tried to do. It took her 4 hours to complete a fractions worksheet. She loves to do fractions and math problems but today she found every excuse in the book for not staying on it. When I suggested she do something else, she flipped out. I sent her outside to jump on her pogo stick which usually helps her focus. It worked for a short while but then she was back. She interrupted every conversation I was in with any other child. She corrected me several times even when she was way across the house from me. When we had a package delivered she ran to the door to greet the FedEx person and just chattered away. All of these are old behaviors but I have learned that they mean something important. She isn't feeling safe and she is anxious. I think part of it is that C. is away until Wednesday night. However, I also know that it means she did something wrong and I haven't "caught" her.

I had "forgotten" to set her door alarm for about a week. I was testing her and seeing if she was ready. I intermittently leave it off for a night or two but I hadn't done it for this long. The result was that she thanked me for leaving it off and then proceeded to go in and out of her room several times over the course of the night. She didn't do anything "wrong" from what I could tell so I figured she was trying out her new found "independence." On Friday, she reminded me to set it because she thought that would "help" her. She wouldn't elaborate but I complied.  Then I realized that all last week she was stealing leftover Halloween candy and marshmallows from the pantry. Not overnight but I think that was her "panic" response to the alarm not being set. I noticed she had taken a couple of things and ignored it. Bad Mom Move! She was so upset I didn't stop her that she got bolder with the stealing. On Sunday she stuffed a marshmallows in her mouth and then came over to me just to make sure she got caught. We safeguarded that temptation and she seemed back to normal until today. Until I figure it out we are going to have a tough run...

Of course, Tortuga can't be left behind so we are having a resurgence of RAD and ODD behaviors. Now that I think of it we had a great weekend so perhaps this is also payback after the fun stuff.

2 comments:

Laynie said...

We are somewhat dealing with the same things with Miss H. She is acting out and making sure she is getting caught. I am trying to figure it out and exactly how to respond to help her. I should call you soon, you always know how to make the crazy make sense!

Lee said...

Isn't it weird how they need to get caught to feel safe? I have one like that and two that flat out just tell on themselves! LOL

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed