Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Maybe he really is a dog....

Our oldest son has some errrr....qualities that... uhmmmmm.... remind me of a dog.

He growls.

Literally.

Sometimes it is a low rumble in the back of his throat and other times it is a bare-teeth, snarling, growl. One warns he is getting mad, the other signals he is over the top. It can happen at the dinner table, in the car, while playing outside at the park, or just about anywhere else. I have been ignoring it lately because we have seen less of this behavior recently. He has reduced his growling and started licking my hand (when I am not watching), rolling over and playing dead (literally), and begging with his hands tucked up in front of his chest as he asks for something he isn't going to get. When I call attention to this he plays dumb and pretends he has no idea what I am talking about.

Does he have other canine qualities? Well, he used to pee on things in his room as if marking his territory, especially if they were new. When that stopped and he learned to write he started marking everything he perceived as belonging to him. Sometimes he writes his name but other times it is just his initials. He does it on his clothes, his furniture, his toys, his crayons (each individual one), his school supplies, notebooks, books, etc. He recently tried to do this on the bathroom toilet (not telling you with what!). He even does it in his food. I used to think he really like his name but recently he asked to change it to Melvin... so I don't think that's it.

Today he bit a hole in his weighted blanket. A big hole and all the stuff inside is now all over his room. When I asked him why he bit his blanket he said he was mad about having to sleep in his bed. When I asked him why he was mad about that he said he preferred sleeping on the floor in his sleeping bag like he had in our hotel room this weekend. I need to stop him before he starts chasing the cats around the house. Anyone know of a good obedience school that will take him?

10 comments:

MamaKate said...

Melvin is a fine dog name.

RADMomINohio said...

My niece used to act like a cat. Almost to the same extent that your son acts like a dog. The growling was there and was a signal that she couldn't verbalize her feelings because she was past that point of getting angry. Became animalistic. But even when she wasn't mad she'd act like she is purring like a cat or nuzzle like a cat does.
I know she had a lot of cats at her bio-parents' house. Too many cats. I know for Penelope's sake she competed for attention with these cats. It wasn't that she loved cats and was obsessed with them. I think she just picked up behaviors and attention seeking techniques.
But it's interesting to hear you have the same situation in your home.

GB's Mom said...

That's one I never had...

matryoshka said...

Jupiter used to do the growling too when she got mad. I haven't noticed it so much lately so I'll have to listen for it. But there are times I definitely think that she reverts to animalistic (primal) behaviors when she's overwhelmed or can't verbalize.

marythemom said...

My dad was in the process of training his new Golden Retreiver about the time we got our new kids. My 13 year old son was having a lot of discipline problems, and my dad kept offering to let us use the shock collar that worked so well on his dog. Maybe I should have taken my dad up on it. His dog is much better behaved than my son (the dog rarely barks or growls, never bites, never pees in the house, doesn't steal, doesn't eat things that are not hers, and they had her fixed so they don't have to worry about her having puppies out of wedlock).

Mary in TX

J. said...

P told me once about some research that talks about RAD/AD kids acting like animals( specifically dogs) because it they are submissive and always loved and the kids can relate to that desire but can not voalize it because it frightens them.... we saw it with C for a long itme but he has stopped now.

BT said...

He plays tug of war too, doesn't he? At least figuratively!

Dogs often learn well in exchange for treats. Too bad this doesn't work for RAD kids...

Dia por Dia said...

Yep on the tug of war, shock collar, and animalistic tendencies! BT--I do wish it was as easy as giving them treats! Corazon used to do the cat stuff too (competing for attention and maybe the submissiveness and need for love.) Tortuga knows I don't like dogs muc (except at a distance) so I wonder if that is part of pushing me away now that he is feeling some attachments...

MamaKate--yes, a fine name for a dog. Thanks for the laugh!!!

GB's mom--don't know what you are missing... :-)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Now if someone can fix the hole in the middle of the weighted blanket for me.... :-)

marythemom said...

I wish we could lock them in the laundry room if we need to go somewhere or they're acting up, put them on a chain in the back yard, that respite were as easy to find as kennels...

I used to be a professional seamstress, if you can get it to me I'll see if I can fix it. I even have some of the tiny plastic weight beads around somewhere cause I was going to make some weighted lap blankets for the kids' private school.

Mary in TX

Dia por Dia said...

LOL. Thanks Mary. I might just take you up on that offer!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed