Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I am still failing Kindergarten...

For a while there I thought I was staying on top of my Kindergarten game. Reading folder sent in daily. Class t-shirt cleaned and ready to go for field trips. Permission slips for T*rget field trip (don't ask) sent on time. Can of frosting. Delivered. Early. But then I started slacking. I totally missed the leaf cut-out that was supposed to be decorated for their Thanksgiving hall decor and I missed the "things I am thankful for" turkey and we didn't get to the "family" potluck. I think I have a good excuse reason for missing those--holiday preparations, sick kids, home repairs, C. travelling for work, etc. But then I really blew it. Pollito missed a couple of days of school and I missed downloading one of the class newsletters. Of course it would be one of the most important ones and now I am playing catch-up. Edited to clarify/add about T*rget: They are learning about stores and money and they will be "shopping" for gifts for kids at a local shelter. They were supposed to be earning money at home over the past two weeks to buy the stuff. Of course, that info about earning money was in the newsletter I forgot to download.

This morning I rushed poor Pollito into completing his math "homework" because I didn't realize it was due (truthfully I hadn't even glanced at the growing pile of papers from school). In 6 minutes I tried to get him to count all the bedrooms, lamps, windows, chairs, doors, phones, and 2 or 3 other things. We did fine with phones once he decided cell phones didn't count and bedrooms but after that it was a disaster. He has just recently learned to count and can manage counting up to 11 but it gets dicey after that. He also has to start from 1 each time so we had many false starts. 1, 2, 3, 4, then to the next room where he couldn't pick up with 5 but needed to run back to the first room and start again. It was almost comical except that he was working so hard...bless his heart. I was trying hard to be supportive but rush him out the door at the same time. Bad mom.

I was hell-bent on getting that in because right now I am behind on a few other things. I haven't sent in a book order all year (I am sure she thinks we have no books in our educator household) so she kindly sent me all the order forms for previous months along with the December one. We haven't participated in any of the recent community "giving" events (coins for charity (monthly thing), coats for kids, canned foods for food pantry, or sponsor a family) and we haven't returned his last two library books (I am sure there is a late notice in that pile.)

Most importantly I have, sitting in that pile I furtively glanced through this morning when he mentioned math homework, a (Christmas) tree that needs to be "traced on felt, posterboard, wood, fabric, cardstock, or other such item" and decorated "by the ENTIRE family as a fun family event." Deja vu anyone? We are told it doesn't have to be a "Christmas tree" but can "use this attached evergreen pattern to design a festive creation!...It can simply be a type of tree (pine, maple, oak, etc) with no decorations if you wish OR..." This is followed by two FULL paragraphs on suggestions of how to decorate a Christmas tree. Someone help me out. How do I turn this evergreen tree pattern into a maple tree? oak tree? And who out there seriously believes they don't expect a Christmas tree? Should I really make my kid be even more of a freak (two moms thing again) by being the only kid who DOESN'T take in a decorated Christmas tree. As tempted as I am to have a family event to decorate a maple tree I just don't have the skills required. Or the time. The darn thing was due November 30th!

I am still failing Kindergarten.

11 comments:

BT said...

Oh my gosh, Dia. What does Pollito actually do IN kindergarten? This all sounds like what our sons did AT kindergarten.

I would be so tempted to completely rebel against a lot of it. Can you get kicked out of kindergarten?? If not, I say go for it on the rebellion, and see if you can recruit some other parents to stage a revolt! Make the evergreen into a star, green eggs and ham, cut it into felt strips and arrange it like grass. Frankly, for a fun family activity, give everyone a hunk of the felt and let them go to town on it however they want and then turn that it. I bet it'd be the most creative one on display!

Brie said...

WOW - that is an intense kindergarten! I agree with BT, Butterfly did all of that in school.

My vote is for the oak or maple tree. After all, they asked for it.

And I had no idea Target was an option for a field trip - how fantastic. I wonder what you learn there?


Anyways, hope you have time to relax. This kindergarten stuff sounds more exhausting than a full- time job!

Lee said...

Oh my gosh I was thinking of evil things to turn the tree into as well. LOL You make me so glad we home school!

BTW thanks for the kind note on my blog. I tried to email you back but my email didn't work with the techie gizmo on your blog and you may be flunking kindergarten but there is no hope for me with advanced technology!

Lisa said...

PTSD just reading. Oh how I remember. The insane amount of work expected to be completed is over the top. Plus they know in kindergarten that the parents have to do it. Geesh. Maybe it's a marathon so that only the strongest survive....

Christine said...

Let's strengthen families by making their lives a living hell after school hours. TOTALLY makes sense.

I think you should turn the Evergreen into a giant Vagina Tree. Lots of Rainbows.

Foster Ima said...

I don't know how you do it. I'm failing pre-K right now, and that's after 1 day going home sick, 3 days absent, and 2 days this week. And the only homework is a "book report" and catching up on last week's work. Instead we're watching Diego and I haven't even opened Sabrina's bookbag.

matryoshka said...

Oh Dia! I throw away half the stuff every week that comes in the "Eagle News." We haven't done any of the little paper books she comes home with every week, I haven't sent in any boxtops for education or started a family coin collection. I lost the online code for the scholastic book orders. And after the thanksgiving holiday we were supposed to bring a stuffed bear to school which I forgot to send. Sometimes I manage to find time to have Jupiter read the literacy book she brings home every week. That's about it. Not that I don't want too...it's that we have two free hours every weekend afternoon to accomplish said stuff and everything else too!

Carmel said...

Wow! That's all I can say.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

oh my goodness, I am laughing so hard I could pee myself (if we didnt have a rule about doing that on the furniture in this house). Because I did all those stupid things last year, and will be doing all those stupid things next year. Wait... oh hell, I threw all that crap away already.
Not the tree though, I have to say we didnt have to do a tree, but definately had a turkey to decorate at home. For the whole family. Right.
Didn't you used to be a teacher?

Dia por Dia said...

Essie,
Yes a teacher and a teacher educator! Sometimes I think it's some kind of poetic justice--C. and I were both "good kids" at school, loved it, did everything we were supposed to with little parent support/help. We have been staunch public school supporters all of our lives and have worked in both public/private schools. Yet here we are with 2 kids who can't handle public school and a third who we aren't sure can handle it or at a minimum we don't seem to be able to handle it. Don't know where we will be when it is Milagro's time to go to school!?

Dia por Dia said...

Everyone--I caved to peer pressure--Pollito's. We did the traditional Christmas tree and he was happy. I think the pressure to have kids reading, etc. by the end of Kindergarten has got teachers running around in circles so we end up with alot of the fun stuff sent home and/or the extra literacy work.

Matryoshka--We get a literacy book sent home DAILY and we have to sign off on it. We probably actually read it once/twice each week but sent it back signed daily. I am running an experiment to see how many gendered books he can get sent home before the teacher caves and gives him the non-animal books or we see repeats!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed