Thursday, October 22, 2009

Where has the week gone?

I cannot believe it is almost Friday. My week has flown by partly because we spent the entire weekend (Friday 4-8:30, Saturday 7-6 and Sunday 7-8:30) working at Corazon's gymnastics meet. I think it is almost pathetic that in a strange way that was the most fun I have had in a long time. Partly that was because I got to spend most of that time without any of the kids and in the company of adults. I think this is also part of the reason I miss working. I don't get much of a break from the kids, especially homeschooling, and as much as I love them and our life, it gets exhausting. I got to know a couple of the parents a little better and didn't have to focus on all the little dramas that play out throughout the day at home. Of course, they paid me back for this "desertion", especially Corazon. She was an absolute nightmare on Saturday night and nothing could get her regulated. I finally just sent her to bed early but of course, the behaviors didn't stop. I was up at least a half dozen times throughout the night dealing with all 3 of the older kids!

Corazon was competing on Sunday and I was a bit concerned about what behaviors we would see from her but she did amazingly well. In fact, it was her best competition, earning her two blue (scores of 9.0 and above) and two red ribbons (8.0 and above).

The rest of the week has been filled with field trips, practices, errands, schoolwork, Kindergarten homework :-) and nothing else out of the ordinary but the week has just flown by. We did get Pollito's report card and C. went to his parent conference. It appears he is "far" behind the rest of the children in the expected Kindergarten skills. Not a big surprise since we continue to see him as more in keeping with a 4 year old than a five year old in most other areas including his speech and language which is one of the areas that will impact much of his Kindergarten performance. We are keeping an eye on it but not panicking. He is simply NOT interested in learning his letters, numbers, etc. yet. Even though schools begin to panic about this stuff since many now expect kids to be reading by the end of Kindergarten we suspect it is going to take him longer than that so we will just keep encouraging him without the pressure.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

we just had our conference with our kindergarten teacher and Jesse is the same, they already feel he will be held back and it is only the first quarter! He is so far behind =(

matryoshka said...

your gymnast is beautiful!!!

Jupiter tends to run a year-18 months behind developmentally, but she missed the kindergarten cutoff last year by exactly a week, which puts her on par with most of the other kindergarteners in her class..even though she's a head taller than most of them. Last year when preschool started I looked at them and told them point blank that I didn't care if she learned one academic thing in school that year..my concerns for her progress were ENTIRELY in the emotional/social skill/anxiety coping domain. This year has also been largely focused on the same things..and she's settling in enough to even learn some sight words..which I consider a bonus. Whatever they're "supposed" to learn in K..sometimes the rest is just as important.

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Congratulations Corazon on your scores - It must have taken a lot of hard work and focus.

Thanks for the sling...I'll send you an email.

Dia por Dia said...

Thank you. Corazon was proud of herself and she was in good form!
Tricia--we got that "held back" talk and in TX if he doesn't learn to read they will most likely hold him back in K.
Matryoshka--I agree. Since I homeschool the two older ones I figured this could give him a peer group and socialization experiences and if it doesn't go well then I will have to reassess the homeschool thing for him (and my sanity :-)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed