Sunday, October 4, 2009

Random thoughts on coming "home"




It's funny that one of the things I missed most when I left home to go to college was the sky. The New England skies NEVER seemed familiar. My memories of looking at the sky when I was younger was that the skies were always so interesting. I never quite felt that same way about the skies in CT, NY and MA. No offense to anyone from those parts :-) !These days I find myself LOOKING at the sky every time I am out of the house and it almost always brings a smile to my face even if I am staring at storm clouds. I have even started taking pictures of the sky although I am not sure why but it just makes me feel better.

I originally grew up in Texas and went to the East Coast when I left for college. I never thought it would be "forever" and I actually expected to return soon after finishing college. I didn't. I made a life for myself away from "home" for the next 25 years. At some point my thinking went from "I am going back soon" to "I will never go back" to "I need to go back." That need intensified as I watched my nieces get older and as my own children arrived. The desire to have them grow up in a "quieter" place away from the challenges of urban living in Boston and the desire to have them connected to the culture(s) I was raised in grew stronger. When everything fell into place for C. and me to make this move it seemed right. We have been in Texas over a year and while we miss many things and especially some important people in our lives but this is definitely the right place for us to be at this time. The kids have continued to blossom here and while we still don't have much of a community it is becoming "home."

4 comments:

ldw said...

Welcome home! It's great to have you back!

motherissues said...

That's funny, because I've always thought of you as an East Coaster transplanted to Texas even though I know you're a Texan who went to Boston and back again. Maybe it's because I'm an East Coaster trapped in a Midwesterner's body or something??

I agree, though, that the quality of the sky is different in different places. I love living in hilly river land and I think it shaped my whole view on life in ways that never would have happened if I'd been in the flat midwestern cornfields where I went to college.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

I guess I didn't realize you were a Texan first either! I lived in Houston for a bit and I really liked it. But I liked it for the city, so I guess that is not the same thing.
Maybe the sky is bigger in Texas.

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Now, with all the crazy-beautiful colors of fall here in New England, I can't imagine living somewhere else. But then I drive to Vermont and the rolling mountains, small towns and big clouds draw me in...and then I think about Cape Cod and the beaches and the way light is reflected there...SIGH. Isn't it amazing how a place can feed your soul?????

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed