Thursday, October 8, 2009

Empathy

This evening the two little ones were playing with each other in the family room while I helped one of the older ones with schoolwork. As has become his habit, Pollito looked over to me and when he thought I wasn't looking he pushed Milagro who fell on her behind and started crying. I asked Pollito what he had done and after some hesitation he said "I pushed her not very hard." The look on his face said he knew he was in big trouble. I called him over and calmly asked him if that was a nice or mean thing to do? He said "mean but I didn't push her too hard." I explained that pushing was pushing and sent him over to apologize. In our house everyone is allowed NOT to accept an apology because "sorry" spills out of people's mouth way too quickly without any real sentiment behind it. The older kids have been taught to say "it's not ok please don't do it again" or "it's not ok because...." or "it's not ok to treat me like that."

Anyway, Pollito (age 5.1) goes over to Milagro (age 2.1) and says "sorry for pushing you." She immediately stands up and puts her hand on her hip and says "You push me in fire [place] on my bum. Toucha my belly and pushy me on the f[l]oor. I hu[r]t my bum on the f[l]oor you pushy me. Da fire [she tends to sign fire as she says it] no good... hu[r]t me." The she looked at him sternly and put her hands on his belly. She looked like she was about to push him but then she threw her arms around him and hugged him! He started to cry and she said "is ok ...my b[r]other...is ok." Then she wiped the tears from his face. I asked him why he was crying and he just stood there for about a minute then he said "because I was mean."

I love these kids and moments like this!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Brought me to tears. That is the sweetest thing.

SocialWrkr24/7 said...

I got chills and teary eyed just reading that! So sweet!

What a beautiful lesson in forgiveness...

Christine said...

I'm just breathing this one in ...

ldw said...

Beautiful!

Brie said...

wow, that is the sweetest story! thanks for sharing! And I LOVE Milagro's attitude!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed