Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Crazy mom in the middle of the night

The ranting, the raving, the yelling, and the screaming around here is driving me nuts and I am the one doing it. They managed to hit my last nerve as I was trying to get some late-night reading and it wasn't pretty.

Usually each child has their own room but as a "tryout" we moved Pollito in with Tortuga about two weeks before we went on vacation. We did this for several reasons. Both boys are afraid of the dark but wreak havoc if any nightlight is left on for them especially with peeing-in-all-the-wrong-places incidents. Pollito and Milagro technically share a room but he cannot be trusted with her right now so we have kept her in our room which adjoins theirs. In moving him out we were able to open the adjoining door and have her go back to sleeping in that room. That bedroom is also our main access to our wonderful deck so if we want to take advantage of early morning coffee on the deck we need access through that door. We knew there would be challenges including having to change bedtimes around because the boys make unwise choices when left alone together without much supervision (I do have a video monitor in their room.) Last night I unwisely sent Tortuga to bed without making sure Pollito was already asleep. Then I sent the girls to read in bed (Corazon's friend S. is spending the summer with us) and let them stay up later than usual before announcing lights out. I forgot to keep the monitor by my side and around 11 started hearing some noises from upstairs but didn't think much of it. About 45 minutes later as I made my way upstairs to check on the noise I picked up the monitor to hear bedlam. The girls were screaming (they called it singing) at the top of their lungs to "scare monsters away" and to "be louder" than the boys. The boys were hanging off their beds (literally and scarily) while Tortuga was teasing Pollito about holding his pee and trying to convince him to pee in his bed instead of getting up to use the potty (so much for all the potty-training!) and threatening to make up something to get him in trouble if he DID get up to use the bathroom. Tortuga was laughing maniacally and of course trying to be louder than the girls. I managed to miss most of the noise because it was muffled by the airconditioning fan/vent. After eavesdropping on both sets of conversations I tore into both rooms, screamed my head off checked the girls on their disrespect of a sleeping baby (actually awake and keeping C. awake too) and announced they could get up at 6 a.m. with me to see if that could help them remember why they needed to not make so much noise. I told Tortuga that he would have plenty of chores to do today and he owed me extra quiet time and shut his door as I stormed off went to deal with Pollito. Pollito had peed all over himself (how does it get in their hair?) and his bed which I refused to change so I pulled him into the bathroom, showered and changed him, then put him on a blanket on the floor of Milagro's room with a stern threat if I heard any noise. Then I stormed into my room took Milagro out so C. could sleep and went downstairs to put Milagro to sleep. Then I couldn't sleep because I felt guilty for my ranting and raving.

This morning I am dragging even after two cups of coffee and the girls are quietly sitting in separate rooms doing their morning journal prompts. None of us are not happy to be up at 6 a.m. but heck, misery loves company.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Wowee, Dia... That sounds like a tough night indeed!

Sending positive vibes- I don't have any advice though, I think I would have been raving too!

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

oh geez, I really suffer if I don't get a minimum sleep, it really sucks. A thought, if you havent already had it, is Christmas tree lights for the boys who need light but will not have a nightlight. Works wonders for Genea and has a mild peachy glow with the colors combined. They have nice outdoor string lights at Target right now. Just a thought.
Pee in the hair.... sigh...

Lisa said...

You're having fun now sister. ;-)

I've got one that's picking the paint off and digging into the drywall. Must be contagious.

Linda B said...

I am so thankful I have never had to deal with this peeing thing. I use Christmas light ropes in one of my kids' rooms for a night light like Essie spoke of. It's not Andrew's room, he has a blinking Christmas tree (thanks Kari) and string lights out all the time. I'm sure from outside in the night our house glows with blinking lights!

Dia por Dia said...

I am holding out for the little one being the first one fully potty trained! I haven't tried string lights recently but in the past Corazon managed to use those lights to get brave enough to be up to no good...But maybe now it will be different...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed