Friday, June 5, 2009

Change of Plans -- June 4

June 4th -- 11:45 pm

I am writing this from my hotel room in Jackson, Tennessee. The kids are neatly tucked into their sleeping bags and/or sofa bed and the baby is finally asleep. Pollito has an ear infection and Milagro has a bad cold/cough and a yeast infection. The ear infection made Pollito's asthma act up (which it had been doing for a few weeks) so when I took him in to the doctor's change his asthma plan on Wednesday they discovered the ear infection. We would never have known since he hadn't shown any signs of discomfort. Except of course for tonight now that he knows he has to take medicine. We also took Milagro to the doctor's yesterday because she had a cough that wouldn't quit and a weird diaper rash (she almost never get that). Her doctor discovered the yeast infection. Despite all of that we decided to get on the road early today (Thursday) because C.'s younger brother is only going to be in PA until Monday. He is a college senior in Montana and C. and the older kids adore him so we got on the road at 6 a.m. today! (Good thing I am pretty organized and was mostly packed so I did get about 5 hours of sleep last night.)

So far, the only things I know I managed to forget were the kids' bike helmets! :-)

Both younger kids had a hard time settling down tonight so I was playing Dr. Mom. They travelled really well and surprisingly Tortuga "won" the "best behavior" award for today. I don't think he has ever done that before! So it was a big deal. I travel with a special "treat" for each day of our vacation and we select the kid who was the "best" for the day (or part of the day if all of them have a hard time.) They LOVE doing this and it is they only time I see "rewards" work to keep them in check. I have to figure out why that works only during these times.


As I said before, I really can't complain. They travel well. Tomorrow I am surprising them with what should solidify my "best mom in the whole world" title. We bought a DVD player for the car and they will actually get to watch movies during tomorrow's afternoon drive!

2 comments:

SocialWkr24/7 said...

AHHH!!! I grew up in Jackson TN - haven't been back in YEARS, but still have the fondest of memories. Please wave as you drive through for me! :)

Lisa said...

Waaaaahhhhh!!!! You're so close yet so far away..... ;-(

Hoping the kids are feeling better.
I've been wondering where you were....

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed