Monday, April 20, 2009

Which one of you switched my kids?

You know that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop? That is where I am. Tortuga and Corazon have been doing really well. So much of what Tortuga had been doing for several weeks was just not possible to blog about and then about 5 days ago he turned it around. I don't know what is working for him but he is tapping 5-6 times per day, "strong sitting" 4 times per day, and we are doing cuddle time almost every night except I have to keep changing it up. Other than that I haven't started him on the GI because I have a feeling it's going to bring stuff up and I am enjoying his calm. Corazon still does her sitting 3 times per day but we pulled back tapping to twice a day or as a "calming" strategy when she starts to get agitated or frustrated. She seems to have stopped sneaking food at home from the pantry and she is interrupting adult conversations less and less which is a HUGE deal for her. This past weekend I enjoyed their company for the ENTIRE weekend and we had no major fights, meltdowns, drama, etc.

Friday night we had lots of rain and we had planned a dinner out. We ordered Chinese takeout from a new place. Chinese is a favorite of ours and we haven't found the calibre of Chinese food we had in Boston so it is always an experiment. The food was great and we had a great time during family dinner. We joked around and enjoyed the good food and each other's company. It made me realize how long it has been since we have done that without at least one child falling apart or needing to be sent away from the table. Corazon told me before bedtime that she thinks she has a better life and has more fun when I am "in control" because when she tried to be in control she usually "messes things up." Whatever was in that food, worked for us.

We took a 12 hour drive (6 hours each way) on Saturday to take my mom and my 86 year old aunt back home because they hate flying. They had been staying with us for the past 2 weeks or so. Tortuga and Corazon READ the entire drive down and didn't bicker one bit. On the return trip they napped and read, sang along with the country music on the radio, and just stared out the windows. You would have thought I slipped something in their drinks but I swear I didn't. I was so excited I even bought them sweets near the tail end of our drive. We NEVER do that.

On Sunday, they were still these great kids. We joked and laughed during breakfast and we even had a serious conversation about Tortuga's jealousy toward Corazon and Pollito. He listened, agreed with our assessments, and asked how we could help him stop being so jealous! He has never done that. They HAPPILY did family chore time quickly and efficiently (we usually do that on Saturday mornings) and even did a few extra chores. To top it ALL off they went to flag football and Corazon's team won while Tortuga's team lost. He congratulated her on the win. Also a first! By the end of the weekend Tortuga was beside himself since he seems to be most comfortable when he isn't having a good time that he worked hard to get himself worked up. We skyped with their grandparents (C.'s mom and dad) and he was the obnoxious, non-cooperative kid we are accustomed to. When I dismissed him to go to bed he tried to get really mad but I suggested we do tapping and that chilled him out right away.

Thus my only conclusion is that someone out there has switched my kids. If you did, please don't tell me. I'm not giving these back.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm whispering.....congratulations.....
enjoy every moment.....

I wouldn't switch either.

Dancing on the Edge said...

We don't blame you! Enjoy!

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

Carefully typing.... dont rock the boat lol...
Is it possible they could have been worried about the visitors? With all the bouncing thru foster care and families and stuff, kids can get weird ideas. such as, the visitors could be there to take them to a new house, or their own or whatever. Then when they were dropped back at home the kids were so relieved they behaved?
Just a thought.

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

One last thing, if I had the ability to switch kids, well, I would not be at YOUR house with my new skill!
LOL, just kidding and all.

Dia por Dia said...

Essie,
About your first comment...It is possible. We have had a lot of traffic around here since Thanksgiving and they seem to keep bouncing back and forth.
About your second comment.. I will eliminate you from the suspect list.

ldw said...

I mentioned to our therapist that I planned to finally start the GI this week for the kids at bedtime. She suggested we not do it at bedtime right now but earlier. So yesterday after dinner, the three of us made ourselves comfortable in the livingroom and all did the GI together. It was so relaxing! My son even admitted he liked it and he doesn't like ANYTHING about trying to fix the RAD!

And the tapping?? LOVE it! Lisa has been telling me but now I finally get it. Oh, my daughter likes it too ;)

If you figure out that kid switching trick, could you please share????

Dia por Dia said...

I have been doing each one (we are only on the first 3) out loud with my daughter before I put it on in her room. She likes doing that too. Did she tell you why not at bedtime?

Tricia said...

Hello! I am now following! I need to take a day and catch up to the others =) Excited to read your past and present pots!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed