Monday, March 9, 2009

We might be making a new friend or two

Just got back from school pickups and actually had a few moments to write. Writing is keeping me sane these days (actually, I think it always has.) I went food/essentials shopping with the baby and in the middle of C*stco, which was pretty quiet, I heard someone shouting my name. Given that I don't know anyone in this town I figured someone else with my name was being called. Then I see this woman waving and smiling from halfway across the store as she approached me with a laugh as she asked if I was "ignoring" her already? It was the mom of one of Corazon's gymnastics teammates! In fact, our family had dinner at her home on Saturday evening and we had a great time.

I feel a little like I am in middle school. ("I made a friend...") We have been in Texas for 7 months and in general people have been friendly to us (even considering the comments from the previous post.) Yet, we have not had opportunities to meet or interact with many adults beyond brief exchanges to point out who our kid are. We ended up at their home for a cookout because our daughters had invited each other for playdates. Given the week that Tortuga had been having we had pretty much decided that C. would take the three younger kids and go over, while I stayed home with Tortuga. At the last minute, we decided to all go and it was a good decision. The kids were pretty good and gave us a chance to get to know the parents. He works from home and she just got laid off from her job, so they offered to be helpful with Milagro and Corazon if I have things to do. They have an 18 month old granddaughter who lives with them part of each week. This baby looks so much like our youngest that all of us spent the whole time marvelling at the incredible resemblance. Of course, it gave them a chance to "grill" us about our kids and family ["How long have you been together?" "Do you want more kids?"] but it was actually nice to be in adult company and treated like a "normal" couple, which we are not but they haven't figured that out. :)

The fallout for having so much fun was apparent all day Sunday for Tortuga and Corazon, but I suppose it was worth it. I will have to continue later, I need to go deal with Tortuga who has just stolen some food from the pantry.

2 comments:

marythemom said...

I'm excited about getting to know a new "neighbor"! I look forward to reading more of your blog. I wonder if we live close to each other? (I LOL when people say, "Oh she lives in Texas too, you guys should get together." Most people don't realize this state is huge!).

Mary in TX
http://marythemom-mayhem.blogspot.com

Mom to biokids Ponito(9) and his sister Bob(12)
Sibling pair adoptive placement from NE 11/06
Finally finalized on Kitty(13) on 3/08 - 2 weeks before her 13th birthday!
Finalized on her brother Bear 7/08. He turned 15 the next day.
" Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Dia por Dia said...

Hi Mary,
I think I mentioned this in a comment on your blog. Yes, we are neighbors. I am just a little southwest of you. Nice to be in the neighborhood.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed