Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One of those days...

It has been one of those days... The kind that start with missing the alarm in the morning so I had to forego coffee. I rushed out of bed to get the kids out the door for school and managed to wake up the only child who doesn't have to be up... first. I should have crawled back in bed right then and there. I took Milagro with me as I did my morning rounds of waking kids up. I woke up Corazon because these days she is in super, super, super slow motion mode and although she doesn't start school until 9:30 it takes her 3 1/2 hours to change the cat water, check that the cats have dry food, change a litter box, if needed, get dressed, and have breakfast. She screamed that she didn't want to get up. I said "OK, stay home!" That usually gets her because missing school is one of the worse things she can think of. She slowly dragged herself out of bed and then stood there in the middle of the room. I said "NO! Not today! You RUN downstairs and start those cat chores or I will lock you in your room right now!" She knew I was serious as she eased her way down the stairs. Due to unsafe behaviors I cannot leave upstairs until there is only 1 child up there. I rushed Pollito out of bed, told him we were late and sent him to use the bathroom while I gathered his clothes. Of course, he had wet himself overnight so I had to quickly shower him (while he cried) and with Milagro on my hip. Once dried off I sent him downstairs in his underwear to finish getting dressed then I woke up Tortuga with a shout that we were running late and he needed to move quickly or miss school. I rushed downstairs to pull lunches together, help Pollito finish getting dressed, feed Milagro breakfast and wait for the rest of the kids to be ready to eat as well. As I am doing this, Tortuga comes down in his underwear (not allowed) to announce that he wet the bed. "Of course, you did" I said nonchalantly. He yelled at me "don't say of course!!!!" and I just shooed him upstairs with a declaration that they could all stay home since they have 10 minutes before it was time to leave for school. I suddenly realized that I hadn't heard anything from Corazon and she was sitting in the middle of the sunroom (where cat chores take place) with the poop scooper in hand (piece of cat poop in it) staring at Tortuga in his underwear. I couldn't deal with her then since the rest of the kids needed to walk out the door soon.

10 minutes later C. came downstairs to me telling Tortuga that I wasn't signing anything of his this morning if the trash wasn't emptied before he left (it is his daily chore) and he proceeded to yell back that he didn't think he should do his chores since it was "my fault" I got him up late. I glared at him and pointed to the trash can. Ultimately, Pollito and C. went to the van (she does morning drop-off for the boys) and Tortuga was no where to be found so she started to drive off very slowly to give him time to catch up. He came into the house crying hysterically, drool and snot flying everywhere, that she was leaving him and it wasn't fair and all my fault and he shouldn't have to do chores, etc. I shoved a glass of milk, granola bar, and his vitamins in his hand and told him to run and catch up with her. He left dragging his backpack, jacket (it was 74 degrees) lunch box, crying hysterically as he ran screaming down the street waking up anyone who wasn't already up at 7:15 this morning.

Milagro was crying into her morning yogurt and insisted on being carried everywhere I went this morning. I went back upstairs to finish getting dressed and to get Milagro dressed for the day. Poor thing had such a rude awakening that I guiltily carried her around as I finished up my morning routine. When we came downstairs at about 8:10 Corazon was still sitting in the middle of the sunroom with that poop scooper in her hand. I suggested she could do that all day long if she wanted since I was happy to stay home and not take her to school. She gave me one of those "cha" faces (half scowl, half smirk) and walked over to the litter box and out of my sight line. At that point, Pollito's school nurse called to tell me he couldn't return to school tomorrow if he hadn't had his most recent shots which her records showed were past due!

After Corazon got dropped off at school (still wearing pj's and carrying school clothes) my day was relatively uneventful. I realized around 1:00 pm that I had missed my morning coffee so I took Milagro through our neighborhood St*rb*cks and treated myself to an iced coffee. All the things that had been on my to do list for today fell by the wayside as we sat in the toddler park and I watched her enjoy having the climbing structure all to herself. I was hoping the kids had better days but that was wishful thinking.

Pollito has 2 peeing accidents at school and ran away from me when I picked him up. Tortuga announced he was sent to the principal's office for "no reason." I later learned he was "fighting" with a boy at recess and that he was now banned from playing football during recess for the rest of the school year. Corazon had gymnastics after school today but I usually visit with her for 30 minutes or so between school and gym. She was off but wouldn't say why. I got home to an email from her teacher telling me she had "an outburst" in school today and a full blown tantrum because the teacher asked her to do her math while wearing headphones.

Meanwhile Tortuga decided to be as fully ODD as he could tonight so I sent him to bed at 6:30 pm just after dinner. I could not deal with him anymore tonight. Just then C. sent me a text message from Corazon's gym to give me a heads up that Corazon got kicked out of her gymnastics class tonight (I know, I jinxed myself with yesterday's post!) for disrupting the last practice of the night. Corazon came home tonight at 7 pm and burst into tears as she "confessed" what had happened in school and gym today. She actually wouldn't give me any details so I sent her to write detailed apologies to her coaches, her teammates, and her teacher. She did it in record time (yay!) and had 20 minutes for dinner before I sent her to bed with no reading time.

Somewhere between Tortuga going to bed and Corazon coming home I sent Pollito to bed because he decided to take all the crayons off my desk and decorate the sunroom. (He has never done that before.) C. has a fever of 102 so she went straight to bed when she got home. Milagro, who was still hanging out on my hip this evening, finally fell asleep in my arms around 8:30 so I put her down to bed.

I looked at the pile of papers the kids left for me next to my computer and realized I have sealed report cards for all three kids sitting right in front of me. I had an important choice to make--open the report cards or write this post. Guess which one I chose?

And...how was your day?

6 comments:

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

well however my day was it didnt suck as much as yours! Sorry!

SocialWkr24/7 said...

Oh Dia... I hope you immediately went to bed after you published this post. Please get a good night's sleep and hopefully things will be better tomorrow. What a day... :(

Lisa said...

Not having the morning coffee = me being off all day.

Tickled pink you decided to blog instead of do report cards. Maybe today will be better!

BT said...

And I thought I had it rough...

Dancing on the Edge said...

Wow....

Dancing on the Edge said...

Wow....

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed