Thursday, March 12, 2009

I got an Award!

Pollito's classroom is studying birds of all kinds as they anticipate the hatching of their baby chicks. Thank goodness that explains the squawking and parroting behavior. I am now impressed by how long he was able to stay "in character." He is four after all! Perhaps it was a safer place to be than all the craziness that was going on around him. At moments like those I sometimes wish I could videotape all the action because by the time someone else is around to share it with, I sound nuts and of course they are all calmed down or in bed so it's just my word.

We have house guests since yesterday. An old friend from my high school and I connected recently and hadn't seen each other since we were 18 years old--a lifetime ago. We had sporadic contact every few years as she married, divorced, had a child, remarried, had a second child, and became widowed. Over the years our contact had amounted to no more than a dozen letters, phone calls and emails. She is in town with her 18 year old to visit the local university and I offered them a place to stay knowing the financial challenges of single income households with the warning that our house was "unpredictable." She has worked for the Texas Youth Commission forever so I know she has seen her share of "difficult" kids. Nonetheless, I was a bit concerned that we might not have much in common and that my kids (and my parenting) would freak her out. As we greeted each other the first thing out of her mouth was "I really thought you were crazy when you said you would adopt all those kids!" Soon thereafter I asked "Is your mom still planning her funeral?"(some of my most vivid memories of time at her house, from 5th-12th grades, was of her mom announcing she was dying soon and busy making her funeral plans as an explanation of why she was in bed at whatever hour of the day we happened to be there.) We both laughed at the familiarity with which we could greet one another. It made me stop and think about how much things change, how much we can go through, and yet, how some things never change, like the connections we make with some people when we are "in the same boat."

That is how I feel about my first venture into blogging about my family's life, my thoughts, and my trying to help my children become the wonderful people I know they are destined to be. Lisa over at Life in the Grateful House gave me an award! I definitely do not feel worthy, but will accept it with heartfelt gratitude! She is amazing and has been a wonderful support for me! I write because it keeps me sane and I started blogging because I wanted the feedback and the connection with others who were in similar boat(s). [Dancing: when you are ready to take the leap I will be your first follower!] I feel so honored to be along on your journeys so thank you to all of you who have been blogging long before me. I am getting so much support from all of you, your generosity and your tremendous wisdom.

The Dardos Award is given in "recognition of cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing. These stamps were created with the intention of promoting fraternization between bloggers, a way of showing affection and gratitude for work that adds value to the Web." The rules:

1) Accept the award by posting it on your blog along with the name of the person that has granted the award and a link to his/her blog.
2) Pass the award to another five blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgment, remembering to contact each of them to let them know they have been selected for this award.

I am a rule-follower much of the time but I am going to have to break the rules here and pass the award along and back to those who have led the way.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Totally worthy. Plus I am so tickled to have another parent living in the same boat.

I'm waiting on Dancing too. I'll race ya for the first follower! ;-)

Dia por Dia said...

Lisa, You are on. I'm always up for a race especially if don't have to do any running.

Dancing: No pressure. You will know when the time is right to start blogging. I am sure Lisa and I will be able to strike a deal here...:)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed