Saturday, February 21, 2009

Friends with "normal kids"


My closest friend from college has 2 amazingly wonderful daughter who are 9 and 10 years old. They live in New York and were visiting us for the past 6 days and left this morning. My friend and I went to college together and reconnected around the time Corazon came home to me. We introduced the girls to one another when they were 5 (Corazon), 6 & 7 years old at our 20th college reunion. They were instantly like three peas in a pod. Carrying on like they had known each other forever, calling each other sisters, and Corazon even let the oldest girl boss her around. Over the years we try to get together 3-4 times a year and the girls always have a great time. My friend has to explain to her girls why I sometimes intervene in their play, pull Corazon out of an activity or send her to "practice patience" (strong sit). They have not usually understood but they work hard to help her not "get into trouble" with me and so I can trust them to do things that I normally cannot let Corazon do by herself or with other kids.

During this visit I had alot of time to watch the girls, especially my girl and I had to marvel at how wonderfully APPROPRIATE she was MOST of the time. She worked really hard, had only minor slip-ups, and thoroughly enjoyed herself without going "over the top!" The best part was that she didn't have that usual crash she has after having so much fun. When we said goodbye to the girls this morning, Corazon cried real tears. I was in seventh heaven!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful.
Brings me to tears knowing how precious that moment truly was.

Dia por Dia said...

Me too Lisa, when I reflect on it. It's funny how we learn to "see" things so differently when our kids have RAD or other such issues. My girl continues to make progress!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed